Thursday, May 9, 2013

TNA Impact Wrestling review (5/2/13)

TNA will be moving an hour later at the end of the month due to no one watching the first hour because it's too early hearing the fans' desires to have the show be an hour later. I firmly look forward to the day that I no longer need to use DVR to watch the show's first hour. For now, though, let's go over last week's Impact.


Hogan and Sting make amends, Matt Morgan and Sting for a title shot? - I'll admit that the first half of this promo was excellent. I got the feeling of renewed solidarity that I was hoping to feel and it's a testament to Hogan and Sting at how they can keep a crowd hooked like this, even when it's just them giving petty bickering. Then Morgan came out and did his stream of awesome rage, and I'm really getting into this show. Where this promo goes wrong is when Hogan decides that STING should face Morgan for the title shot. Why? What has he done to earn it? Granted, creating a No. 1 contender is pretty much the only thing this show hasn't done while setting up for Slammiversary, butthis is a good time for a red herring face savior, like an Angle, Joe or Sabin. Morgan would be an interesting payoff, but Sting? It makes some sense, but I've seen it before and know it can't end well. This does drag a possible-8 promo down to a 7/10.

Chris Sabin's rehab video - This wasn't a bad video, but it was still lacking compared to actual content. And it, again, made me wonder why you wouldn't push this guy hard in a World Title feud instead of an X title feud. 5/10

Sabin beats Zema Ion and Sonjay Dutt - This match was short, but I assume Sabin isn't in long, high-flying match condition yet, so it's fine to return him into the ring. I stand by my statement that I don't care about Zema Ion. Maybe it's the hair. Match was 2.25 stars and segment was 5.5/10.

Rob Terry squashes three jobbers, Bully Ray gives D-Lo Brown a shot at Kurt Angle - I'm really glad Aces & Eights was around to have a longer segment than the Rob Terry match, because now there's something good in this segment. Rob Terry's match was novel, but it only served to make me realize that three roster spots better spent on a tag team or a couple of Knockouts are being squandered on these guys. The match was 1.25 stars, but the Bully Ray promo drags the segment up to a 4.8/10.

Three tag teams seeking a belt? I'm good with that! - It seems surreal to me that TNA can be operating on four tag teams (if you count the Aces & Eights stable as a fourth team) and still have it be the most compelling part of the show. Austin Aries and Robert Roode showed a nice bit of solidarity, Bad Influence continued to get under Aries and Roode's skins, and Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez wound up standing tall with James Storm. It was a similar formula to last week, but it still worked nonetheless. 7.2/10

Tara and Gail Kim talk, Sabin says things and Angle stares at D-Lo - This whole segment screamed 'set everything up.' It went WAY longer than needed. 3.5/10

Angle beats D-Lo in an I Quit match - Was there a reason this is happening on free TV? The stipulation, not the match with D-Lo Brown. Honestly, this was better than I expected, though I am amazed that more interference wasn't done. I give the match 2.5 stars and 6.25/10 for the segment.

Angle calls out AJ Styles - I like Angle's intensity here, but why is it that everyone on Team TNA is trying to bully AJ into joining their side. You guys are making a terrible case here. And this thing is dragging to next week. Lovely. The promo was inoffensive, but it loses a half point for doing the same damn thing all over again. 5.5/10

Taryn Terrell and Mickie James d. Tara and Gail Kim, Gail on Taryn BEATDOWN - I think the Knockouts have really stepped up by having an intense feud take up time while Velvet is injured. This has been the best match of the night, and would be even higher if this company would stop ending all their women's matches with frickin' roll-up pins! The post-match brawl should add to the psychology of what's been happening, especially seeing as Gail Kim just WRECKED Taryn's leg with a ring-post figure four. The match is 2.75 stars and the segment as a whole gets bonus points to reach 7.5/10.

Sting beats Matt Morgan to become No. 1 contender - This match wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't the best thing either man has produced. Sting really shouldn't be trying to go with larger opponents anymore. That requires speed to look good and while his technique is fine, he needs a younger man's speed repetoire to do what he wants to do. As for the match booking, like I said, I honestly believe this is one of the few situations where it's better to make a new No. 1 contender and build for a month than go with the option that currently makes the most sense. Yes, Sting probably works from a storyline perspective, but unless you plan on playing people's fears that you'll actually put the belt on a 50-plus-year-old man, your main event to one of your only four PPVs is kind of a giveaway. I pretty much expected Bully Ray to win anyway, but I really don't buy Sting winning. Then again, this IS TNA, so maybe they're banking on that fear to make everyone feel concerned. As for the match, it was a 2-star affair, and the segment loses ground to fall to 4.5/10.

Overall: I really do enjoy Sting as a competitor, which is why the booking decision only dragged a little. But come on! The Aces & Eights are being build up well. Why does it feel like the only people being built competently on the face side are past their prime. I will note that if RVD signed with TNA, I'd be shocked because this would be the week to use him. Anyway, this was one of TNA's worse weeks and the score showed it. 5.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment