As I wanted to do in the last blog, I am reviewing what I've seen in the last few weeks in the major feds' feeder promotions: NXT for WWE and Ohio Valley Wrestling in TNA.
I feel like I may have come across a little negative, but rest assured, both companies do a fine job of producing a solid wrestling product. The point I tried to make with OVW was that their quick match, quick promo, regional signing style have produced a format where TNA probably can't look at their male wrestlers and be confident that they can appeal to the national audience.
That's a failure of TNA, though. It's a failure in their ability to send in talent from the major fed to refine those in OVW. It's a failure in the TNA style of trying to cram every feud in the company into one hour, limiting OVW's ability to showcase people.
I do think their women's division is being done well, but I think that has more to do with passionate talent and a variety of gimmicks. So many OVW gimmicks are interchangeable and that doesn't make it easy to make someone stand out, which is needed in a feeder.
OVW works fine as an independent fed. It's struggling as a major fed feeder, and from what I can gather from the internet, it's an issue about which they have complained to TNA.
So if you enjoy these feds, don't take any critique to heavily. I'm not criticizing the talent in terms of being entertaining for their fed. I'm criticizing their ability to distinguish themselves from the rest in order to get pushed into TNA.
No comments:
Post a Comment